Friday, December 7, 2012

I worked hard for the money

Since I was old enough to have a job, I have worked. I have had so many jobs while I was growing up. Majority of them were waitressing jobs. I loved to wait tables. I met new people and felt like I was pretty good at it. It was a great way to help me make money through school. Once I graduated nursing school I loved to work as much as I could. I enjoyed all the incentives they threw at me. There was always a shift to pick up, and usually a bonus to go along with it. I did this for many, many years. I was young and had no responsibility to anyone other than myself. I could work all day, and go out all night if thats what I wanted to do. I could spend all my money on any luxury item I wanted. Up until earlier this year, I always had a full time job, or maybe even two. I love my job. I get to work with kids every day. I don't have to have one of those nursing jobs that stress me out beyond what I could handle. I have a wonderful boss who understands the importance of family. When my husband was set to be deployed this past summer, that same wonderful boss presented me with the idea of going part time at my job. She stopped and made me think how important  it is to be home with my kids, so I decided that day after we spoke on the phone that part time hours would be much more fitting for my families needs. I would have the best of both worlds. This is not only one of the greatest decisions of the year, it is one of the greatest of my life.

At first, all I could think about was the drastic decrease in income. We were a two income family, and I thought we needed that money more than I was needed at home. One week after I decided to take part time hours, I was hospitalized for pregnancy complications and placed on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. Now I was left with zero income. Who would have thought it was the best thing to ever happen to my perspective on "needs" and "wants". Sometimes I WANT a little extra money to blow, but I know that I NEED to be present every second I can in my children's lives right now. If this means that I work the bare minimum, then so be it. There is not a single material object that can replace the joy I feel from being with my children and my husband. Money is gone so fast, and the more you make, the more you spend. I now have mastered the art of finding a coupon for everything and finding every item on sale. All I want to do now is provide for them. " If your doing what your able, and putting food there on the table, and providing for the family that you love, well thats something to be proud of." And thats exactly what we are, and that is PROUD. I made a concise decision that the almighty dollar really is not all that important. And I am blessed to have a husband who agrees with this way of thinking. He is pretty amazing. I think I will keep him around ;)

I now have this overwhelming sense of appreciation for the stay at home mother. Each and every one of you is my hero. I am ashamed to say, I used to look a them and say " They don't even work, I sure would like to stay home all day." Now, atleast half of the time, this is my reality. I spend my days making lists, and then making lists of lists of things to get done. Do the laundry, clean the house, then clean it again after my toddler is through with it. Put the toys away, just so he can get them out again. Make a healthy lunch, feed the baby, rock her to sleep. Get my big baby down for a nap, try to squeeze in a 5 minute shower ( while probably singing the Curious George themesong), then repeat. There are no breaks and down time usually is just the calm before the storm. I am worn out by 8 and feel like I am rarely out of sweatpants. Im chubbier than I once was and don't always feel pretty.  I am out of the loop in just about everything that is going on, but I have seen every episode of Super Why and break out into singing " Hat, Mat, Cat, Wonderific your Terrific" to Grant anytime he isn't happy because I know this makes him laugh. I do this in check out lanes or in dressing rooms, wherever we are, I will do  anything to make that kiddo smile. These precious kids don't care how I look, Im just their mommy With this blog, I hope someday I can show my kids what is really important. My time with them is priceless. I do not feel like I lost the person I once was. I instead know that I found the person I was meant to be. No big paycheck will ever compare. You may not be able to tell by looking at us, but we are as rich as they come.

And on a totally unrelated note is this picture. As I was getting ready for work this morning Grant kept coming in the bathroom and grabbing stuff. I have him 4 crackers and a small bottle. He went in and out of our bathroom several times. When I arrived home from work today this is what I see in the spare bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment